OLD FASHIONED HONEY WHEAT BREAD
(from a Pillsbury Whole Wheat Flour Sack — 1980)
Makes 2 loaves
1-1/2 cups water 1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup (8 oz.) cream style cottage cheese
1/2 cup honey 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine 3 tsp. salt
5-1/2 – 6 cups all purpose or unbleached flour
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
HEAT first 4 ingredients, in medium saucepan, until
very warm (120 to 130 ).
LIGHTLY SPOON flour into measuring cup; level off.
COMBINE warm liquid, 2 cups all-purpose flour and
remaining ingredients in large bowl; beat 2 minutes
at medium speed. By hand stir in remaining flour to
make a stiff dough.
KNEAD dough on well-floured surface, until smooth
and elastic, about 2 minutes. Place in greased bowl.
Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled
in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
GREASE (not oil) two 9×5 or 8×4-inch loaf pans.
Punch down dough; divide and shape into 2 loaves.
Place in greased pans. Cover; let ruse in warm
place until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60
HEAT oven to 350 . Bake 40 to 50 minutes until
deep golden brown and loaves sound hollow when
lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans.
If desired, brush warm loaves with butter.
HIGH ALTITUDE – 3500 feet: Bake at 375 for
40 to 50 minutes.
BEST EVER BANANA BREAD RECIPE (from Taste of Home)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 325°F. for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf.
THIS ONE WAS FOR COMPANY DINNERS:
Banana Nut Bread Recipe from Taste of Home
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
Transfer to two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
In a small bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.